The first church on the site was built in 1657, during the Commonwealth of England. A chancel designed by Joseph Richards was added in 1811. John Nash designed the west tower, which was added in 1816. In 1867 the whole church except for the west tower was rebuilt to Gothic Revival designs by the architect Arthur Cates. St. Marys is unusual for being in a Greek Revival style.
We are the Civic Church of Cowes and by using our Hall and Nave, which is one of the largest event venues in Cowes, we provide great service to the Town and its organisations including:
3 Regular Services per week
Celebration of Festivals such as Christmas and Easter
Baptisms, Weddings and Funerals
Civic Services both in the Church and elsewhere in the Town.
Chaplaincy to many Cowes based organisations;
Church Fairs at Spring, Summer and Christmas
Open for Cowes Week with many activities and refreshments
Concert and Rehearsal Venus for several Choirs and Bands
Talks and Presentations
Other social events such as regular coffee mornings and lunches
Arts and crafts
(Most of these activities are temporarily suspended during the Covid19 pandemic.)
We help with the welfare of local people including many who are vulnerable, ill or isolated and in need of friendship and sustenance. An even more important service during these times.
CHURCH 01983 301021
VICARAGE 01983 292509
Church Road, Cowes, PO31 8HA, United Kingdom